_Normsdist ( z )
FileMaker implementation of NORMSDIST Excel function
Average rating: 4.6 (28 votes) Log in to vote
_Normsdist ( 4 )
_Normsdist ( 3 )
_Normsdist ( 2 )
_Normsdist ( 1 )
_Normsdist ( 0.9 )
_Normsdist ( 0.7 )
_Normsdist ( 0.3 )
_Normsdist ( 0 )
_Normsdist ( -0.5 )
_Normsdist ( -1 )
_Normsdist ( -2 )
_Normsdist ( -3 )
_Normsdist ( -4 )
_Normsdist ( -5 )
Compare to Excel:
Function definition: (Copy & paste into FileMaker's Edit Custom Function window)
To provide a near equivalent of the NORMSDIST Excel function.
The probability that the observed value of a standard normal random variable will be less than or equal to parameter z.
This custom function is a FileMaker implementation of the NORMSDIST function in Excel.
Caution: This custom function is ONLY AN APPROXIMATION of the Excel function;
i.e. it will calculate an approximate answer rather than the exact answer.
(Note: The same is true of the Excel function.)
The results are accurate to several decimal places, which is typically sufficient for most uses.
Also see the custom function _Normdist ( z ; mu ; sigma ).
The difference between NORMDIST and NORMSDIST:
- NORMSDIST applies to standard normal distribution.
- NORMDIST applies to any normal distribution.
- A standard normal distribution has a mean of 0 and a standard deviation of 1.
The calculation was adapted from http://www.wilmott.com/messageview.cfm?catid=8&threadid=78622.
Here are some notes on the NORMSDIST Excel function from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827369:
- NORMSDIST(z) returns the probability that the observed value of a standard normal random variable will be less than or equal to z.
- A standard normal random variable has mean 0 and standard deviation 1 (and also variance 1 because variance = standard deviation squared).
Note: these functions are not guaranteed or supported by BrianDunning.com. Please contact the individual developer with any questions or problems.